Friday, September 02, 2005

Gulf Coast Relief

My Congressman sent this out this morning. I thought it was thoughtful and that others might want to read it and perhaps respond to one of the organizations helping on the Gulf Coast.

Dear Friends:

I had not seen the evening news when I wrote the e-mail late yesterday about our October 10 event. I did not know how desperate things in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast had become. The news just gets worse each day.

We must all carry on, but I know that there are more immediate concerns right now than an October political reception. The link below is to agencies that are providing hurricane relief. Esther and I are contributing to America's Second Harvest (www.secondharvest.org), the national food bank network. Esther is on the local food bank board, and she is confident that the food banks know how to deliver food quickly and efficiently.

Martin Luther King said in his speech at the March on Washington that we cannot walk alone. The tragic loss that millions of Americans are suffering now should remind us of that. We have to take responsibility for one another, and help others on faith that we would be helped if we were in need.

Brad

Here's the link to a partial list of relief organizations:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/30/national/hurricane-resources.html

No comments: